SOURCE: 21st Century FoxDESCRIPTION:
On December 1, 21st Century Fox announced that it has joined the American Business Act on Climate Pledge, a new initiative from the Obama Administration in which a total of 154 companies from across the American economy have committed to demonstrate their support for action on climate change and voice support for a strong outcome to the COP21 Paris climate negotiations. The company has committed to reduce its carbon emissions, invest in renewable energy, and disclose its annual energy use. Its full pledge is below:
21st Century Fox is committed to minimizing our environmental impacts, growing sustainably, and inspiring others to take action. Since 2006, we have carefully measured and managed our impacts through our company-wide sustainability program and continue to drive industry-leading sustainability practices in film and television production. We work to raise awareness among audiences through pioneering content like Cosmos, Avatar, Breakthrough, Rio, and National Geographic. In the next 5 years, we pledge to:
- Reduce carbon emissions by 25% compared to 2013, normalized by revenue.
- Reduce carbon emissions from Fox feature film productions by 15% per shoot day.
- Achieve zero waste to landfill at Fox Studios in Los Angeles.
- Implement a sustainable lumber use policy for all Fox feature film and scripted television production.
- Disclose our energy use and greenhouse gas emissions annually. We have reported this data through CDP since 2006, and we have been recognized on the S&P500 Disclosure Leadership Index for seven consecutive years for the thoroughness and transparency of our reporting.
- Continue to invest in clean and renewable sources of energy. Since 2010, we have invested more than $30M in on-site renewable energy and installed 5.5MW of new solar power.
- Continue to improve the efficiency of our studio operations, including through programs like the U.S. Department of Energy’s Commercial Buildings Partnership, which has helped us reduce our carbon footprint by over 1000 tons and save 2.6 million kWh per year in energy use.
KEYWORDS: Environment and Climate Change, Business & Trade, 21st century fox, obama administration, White House, Barack Obama, climate pledge, American Business Act on Climate Pledge, COP21 paris, Cosmos, avatar, breakthrough, Rio, National Geographic, fox, Los Angeles, sustainable lumber, Department of Energy